Monday, October 08, 2007

The Republican collapse

I'm no friend of John Cole, partly because he's to the far right of me, but also because his writing style is so all over the place he's just difficult to read--I feel like I had to have been reading previous writings to place a current, disjointed post into the proper context. And while I'll do that for some writers, virtually no bloggers get that courtesy--blog entries should be, in almost all cases, self-explanatory or (if they cannot) reference background posts appropriately.

That all said, I think he is dead right in his current rebuttal to David "The Apologist" Brooks piece about why Republicans have declined. Money quote:

It had nothing to do with Burke, and everything to do with what the party had become. A bunch of bedwetting, loudmouth, corrupt, hypocritical, and incompetent boobs with a mean streak a mile long and no sense of fair play or proportion.

I've long lamented the thoughtful Republican (which is what David Brooks will be dressing as for Holloween, since he's been wearing the outfit for some time now). But even now, led by a very weakened President, there doesn't appear to be very many Republicans eager to step up and make things right. They are all still riding the tattered coattails of the Administration, straight to the bottom.

Update: I titled this "The Republican collapse" rather than "The Republican decline" because I think "collapse" is much more descriptive of what is going on. "Decline" implies some long process of loss.

No comments: