Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Thoughts on 9/11

I sit here in my office, more or less across the street from ground zero (two blocks away), and have thought about 9/11 quite a bit today, and the past few days. This was also reinforced by seeing the excellent (and not opinionated) Oliver Stone film, "World Trade Center" on one of the pay premium cable channels over the weekend. The horror, disbelief, shock, tragedy, loss and heroism told in this movie was very moving. Today I commuted downtown by bus instead of subway, but not out of fear, cos it was wet and so sticky and I did not want to sweat even more on the crowded subway platform. I'll be on the subways during the day and on the way home. I was fortunate not have lost anyone I knew or loved six years ago, but there is a sense of communal membership to this tragedy that is very overwhelming, not often discussed, maybe occassionally with family and friends. Today I have read the Journalists' Accounts of 9/11, and it is/was something. At this point, as it was back then for so many folks who were in the city, it helps to talk about it.

Realizing the memorial service was a block away, I just took a wet walk in the rain to observe. It's not easy, or potentially, not possible for uninvited pedestrians to get into the modest ceremony in the little park by the construction, but I was able to see and hear the officials read off the names of the people who perished. It never stopped...It must have been going on for a while and will be going on for a bit longer. They were on the "S's" when I left. Many locals and tourists and some prayer groups observing. Of course, a large police presence, too. I was wondering about the purpose of fire engine, with sirens and all, seemingly en route to an emergency coming down Broadway across the street from the service. I hoped it was just for something related to the ceremony, but probably not. Strange, eerie day.

No comments: